Here’s a cute shirtwaist dress. A little bit of challenge for the collar and to get a nice evenly gathered skirt.
The pattern will print on two pages:
Instructions for saving and printing jpg or pdf files are here.
Pdf file of Barbie’s Afternoon Dress
Instructions for Sewing Barbie’s Afternoon Dress
For tie sash cut a strip of fabric 11-1/4″ x 1″
1. Fold each seam allowance to the wrong side for the entire length of the sash. Press both into place:
2. Fold the sash lengthwise, right sides out, and press in the center, or third fold. Stitch the pressed seamline edges together:
Turn the ragged threads at the ends and blind stitch them in place.
3. Sew darts in bodice fronts:
4. Sew darts in back. Press all darts towards center line. Stitch shoulder seams:
5. With right sides together pin and stitch the collar pieces as shown. Turn to right side and press:
On bodice press shoulder seams open:
6. With right sides together, pin the collar edge to the neckline, matching center back notch:
7. Join the facing seams. Press open:
8. Clip the neckline curve. Pin the facing to the neck edge over the collar and stitch:
9. Sew the underarm seams clipping the curves. Press seam open:
10. Make two rows of gathering stitches as shown:
11. Join bodice and skirt. Gather the skirt to fit the bodice matching dots and x’s. Pin first then sew in place:
12. Hem the sleeves and the skirt turning up on hemlines:
13. Blind stitch the facings in place:
14. Sew snaps for closure at markings:
15. Sew tiny buttons at the markings: